11425 Harpers Ferry Road
Purcellville, Virginia 20132
Lovingly referred to as The Farm by the current owners, this property is a wonderful combination of old and new. It is peaceful and welcoming – a place for people of all ages!
In 1824, George Smith and his wife Eve owned a large parcel of land that includes the 20.5 acres associated with this property. They built their home on the highest point, with a Spring House built just below the house. The original house was destroyed by a fire and the existing house (minus addition added in the 1990s) was built in 1875 on the original stone foundation.
The Red Barn was built in 1875 with hand hewn chestnut beams and support walls. The beams in the main part of the barn were hand numbered to aid in construction.
During the early 1990s, the current owners completed a full restoration/renovation of the house. All its historic elements from the 1800s were restored and incorporated into the renovations.
- Pine staircase and banister from main level to second level;
- Pine flooring on the main level with carefully stained, matching oak laced in where the pine could not be saved;
- Old window glass and casements in the living room/dining room;
- Corner pieces of main level window moldings restored and reused;
- Three red-brick chimneys exposed and tuck-pointed;
- Leaded-glass transoms over front and rear doors.
A three-story addition extended the foundation in the basement, added a fabulous Great Room with a stone fireplace on the main level as well as a Full Bath, Butler’s Pantry, closets and a covered side Porch leading to the yard. The third level of the addition added a beautiful Master Suite with walk in closets and a large private Full Bath with double sink vanity.
At the same time, The Farm converted to well water although the spring still exists. The house is on a septic system which is regularly maintained. All plumbing, heating and electrical were updated with heating and central air conditioning for the first and second floors. Heating and cooking are fueled with propane. The beautiful raised hearth, wood burning fireplace has a heat circulating fan to keep the home toasty!
There are Three Dedicated Bedrooms and a large Den/TV Room on the second level as well as a Full Hall Bath and hardwood flooring. The Den has exposed beams and sizable built-in bookshelf space.
A staircase leads to the Attic/Loft that is floored and carpeted and can be used as a play room, study or storage.
- The house is constructed using field stone and wood siding;
- The roof is metal and was replaced during the restoration/renovation;
- A wrap-around deck, stone patio and grape arbor are located just off the addition;
- Multiple areas are suitable for an event tent with electrical outlets at arbor and on the lawn;
- Stone steps lead down the slope to the Red Barn;
- Outdoor lighting surrounds the house, barn and spring house;
- Man-made spring-fed recreational pond with dock has a walking path of about .25 mile around it;
The Red Barn is a bank barn built into a hill. It has been the location of at least two wedding receptions and numerous large gatherings. The main level flooring was replaced with oak during the restoration/renovation and electricity added. The lower level can accommodate horses/livestock or vehicles. There is ample space to either graze animals or park cars.
TAX MAP/ID # 473352901000 and 473253154000
For additional information or to arrange a showing, please contact:
Cathy Kelleher, Realtor
Long & Foster | Christie’s International
Licensed in MD and VA with offices in Leesburg and Bethesda
Information is deemed reliable but cannot be guaranteed.